Thursday, July 24, 2008

Lauren

This is how people think of Lauren. Rough, tough, rather be in boys clothes (in fact, she sleeps in her brother's outgrown boxers). She wants to be a rock star general when she grows up. We have had several conversations about how she does not want to be a girl because boys get to do fun stuff. I have had to explain that she can do anything that a boy can do except be a father and pee standing up. Even then, I figure she'll work on the pee thing. We have talked about girl race car drivers and girls in the military and that soon there will be a girl President. If she works hard enough, she might even be the first girl President. We have a poster that show all the space shuttle missions that had a Girl Scout on them, so she could even go into space. We have read about Marie Curie and talked about scientists. We have also read about Sacajawea and how she was the one who led Lewis and Clark. She thought that was funny.
Now I have not tried to turn her into a pretty princess, I figure I would let her be the person she wanted to be. This, by the way, makes my sister VERY sad. She has twin boys and really needs to have a girl that she can do hair with and nails, etc. My brother's daughter loves softball and cannot stand to get her hair done. My sister is out of luck!!

Or, so we thought.

This afternoon, there was a repeat of the Oprah Winfrey show that had the Jonas Brothers on. For those of you who are out of the loop: the Jonas Brothers are the latest, greatest singing group out there for the preteen/teen crowd. Lauren Loves them. We went to the Texas State Fair to see them live. It did not matter that we stood so far back that we had to look at a screen as we melted in the Texas heat. We were there!!! We have their bonus CD that comes with a DVD of a live concert. Well, as we watched Oprah, she was talking about two young ladies who had emailed her show repeatedly asking for a Jonas Brothers segment. The message finally got through. Oprah even arranged for a surprise for the girls. At a concert the girls had gone to, the Jonas Brothers called them onstage and told them that everyone was going to the Oprah show. It was hilarious to see the look on the girls faces. As I was laughing, I looked over and saw Lauren crying! Her brother began to bother her and she kicked him. I actually had to say " if you are going to cry and get emotional because those girls got to see the Jonas Brothers and go to the Oprah show, I am going to turn the TV off!" My sister laughed at me.

I might have a girl after all!

2 comments:

Mom said...

The shoes and hat say it all!
Love, Mom

Humphrey Hot Spot said...

VERY VERY sad it makes your sister VERY VERY sad - i really think that was why i had jessica - God said here take this girl - shes all you are going to get -