Monday, October 13, 2008

The Things I learned About Camping

Mom and I spent Saturday learning how to camp the Girl Scout way. Actually, we learned how to camp, period. I used to camp with my Dad when I was young, like 10 or so and Mom, well she has NEVER been camping. About three years ago, I went camping with Clark, Lauren and Aaron and the Boy Scouts. I decided then that the Hilton was the closest I would ever come to "roughing it". Now that we have the girl scout troop, Mom and I needed to be officially trained in the Girl Scout way of camping if we ever wanted to take the girls camping. We spent the entire day at a Girl Scout camp and really learned a lot. I actually started a fire, well sort of. We learned how to cook over a fire, coals and a propane stove. We learned about knots and what to do if there is a lost camper. We learned fire safety, camp safety, and the various ways to cook. We learned all kinds of things together.

Mom, however, learned something extra that she has taken home with her......CHIGGERS! Yes, that camping fun that just keeps on giving. I am not laughing at her in any way, shape, or form. I think it is amazing that she was willing to do this. I am just so very sad that she got this experience as well.

We came home tired and gross, but it was great fun. Well, more fun for me than Mom....

No comments: