Sunday, December 21, 2008

My Dad


This is my dad. He looks a little grumpy and like he might be hard to live with. I know sometimes my mom thinks so. Growing up he was VERY different with us than he is now with our kids. He has invented the "Grandpa Clause" which basically means that when we parents say no to our kids, Grandpa can come in and override us. He has been through a lot in his life and I am sure my brother and sister and I have put him through a lot more since then. ( More them than me, of course)
Underneath the gruff exterior, he does have a huge heart. Most recently, Lauren and Alex's school has started a WATCH D.O.G.S. group. This is for dads, grandpas, uncles and other father figures to be at the school during the day to be a positive role model for the kids. He signed up for two days, not just one. This way he could be there for both of the little guys and they could have their own special day with Grandpa.
He also will never play Santa even though he has the beard (and the belly). He said that he just can't take the heartbreak when a child comes up and asks for something that is serious like making a sick person well or bring a parent back.
He also sends things thru e-mail that ALWAYS get to me. He very rarely forwards on stuff and I mean, rarely. Here is a copy of one he just send. It is a two hankie. My Dad was in the service and whenever we see a person in uniform, we always make sure we say "Thank You".

http://www.kluv.com/pages/3506599.php
Please enjoy and remember why we have the freedoms that we do.
May the Season bring you joy and peace.

No comments: